Newcastle held to 2-2 draw amidst injury crisis

Image for Newcastle held to 2-2 draw amidst injury crisis

Newcastle were pegged back twice by Wolves as they drew 2-2 at Molineux on Saturday. 

Callum Wilson twice put Eddie Howe’s side ahead in the first half, seizing upon an error by goalkeeper Jose Sa for the opener and scoring from the spot after a controversial penalty awarded against Hee-Chan Hwang.

Wolves conjured an equaliser after going behind each time which will undoubtedly frustrate Eddie Howe after losing in midweek in the Champions LEague.

The defeat means the chance to move above Aston Villa into fifth has been missed in what was a fast-paced game in the West Midlands.

After the emphatic win against Crystal Palace last weekend, Howe will need to pick his players up heading into the League Cup round of 16 tie against Manchester United in midweek.

Whilst it was a drop-off from the usual defensive standards, the Magpies still impressed in the final third with Callum Wilson moving to become Newcastle’s fifth-highest Premier LEague scorer with XX goals.

Injury crisis taking hold for Eddie Howe and Newcastle

Howe only made one substitution during the game as his squad is counting the cost of injuries and absences.

Alexander Isak and Jacob Murphy are injured. Sandro Tonali is now suspended for 10 months. Much of the injury issues facing the former Bournemouth boss, the bench was full of full-backs.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Howe explained: “I was left with a lot of defenders.

“I have to be careful making changes. That game was very difficult to come into. You really want to be changing attacking players and going for three points but they were not available for us.”

With Sandro Tonali now suspended for 10 months, and Isak and Murphy both missing through injury, the quality of options available to Howe has suddenly diminished which will need addressing in the winter transfer window if objectives are to be met this season.

Share this article