Newcastle United will not appeal Nick Pope’s red card against Liverpool, according to the Northern Echo.
What’s the latest Newcastle United news?
The England goalkeeper was sent off during Saturday’s disappointing loss to Jurgen Klopp’s side and will now miss the Carabao Cup final next weekend.
Pope has proven a transformative figure on Tyneside since signing from Burnley this summer and has kept 12 clean sheet this season, the most in the Premier League.
Still, the 30-year-old will play no part in the showpiece event against Manchester United at Wembley later this month in a major blow to Eddie Howe’s side.
Martin Dubravka is cup-tied having played for the Old Trafford giants during his brief loan stint there earlier this season, while Karl Darlow cannot be recalled from Hull.
That leaves only Loris Karius – who has not played for an English club since his infamous display for Liverpool in the 2018 Champions League final – and Mark Gillespie as options.
Can Newcastle appeal Pope’s red card?
Yes, although the FA retain the right to add an extra game onto the three-match ban should they deem the appeal “frivolous”.
While there have been calls from the likes of Gary Lineker to let Pope play in the final, there is simply no precedent for that.
Though a harsh decision, it would be a major risk to appeal, particularly with Howe’s side now facing a fight to stay in the top four.
What has Eddie Howe said about Nick Pope’s red card?
Speaking after the game, Howe said (via The Guardian): “I think it’s harsh, it was a slippy surface and the ball hit his arm; the referee could have given him a yellow card. Nick’s visibly upset. But I was really pleased with the way we responded to going down to 10 men.”