Eddie Howe has hinted at more signings as Alexander Isak closes in on a record-breaking move to Newcastle United.
What’s the latest Newcastle United transfer news?
After a summer long-pursuit of a new striker, Sweden international Isak is set to join the club for a fee reported to be in the region of £60m from Real Sociedad.
Earmarked as a leading target earlier this summer, the 22-year-old is now on Tyneside to undergo a medical, just over a month after a deal was considered too expensive.
With Sven Botman, Nick Pope and Matt Targett signed earlier this summer, finally securing a new forward might have been seen as the end of the club’s business this summer.
Still, speaking after Wednesday night’s win over Tranmere Rovers, Howe hinted at further additions.
What did Howe say about transfers?
As quoted by the Press Association, Howe said: “It’s difficult to put a number on it, but at least one (more signing).
“We were looking at the attacking areas of the pitch, I don’t think that’s a huge secret. I won’t go into any more detail on that.”
Who could Newcastle still move for?
Nothing But Newcastle have been told Watford are braced for a fresh approach from Newcastle over a deal for Joao Pedro. Having seen offers rejected, the club are still thought to retain an interest in the Brazilian, who is seen as a versatile option to back up the existing frontline.
Sources also suggest Newcastle are keeping a close eye on Conor Gallagher’s situation at Chelsea. The midfielder is increasingly tempted by the idea of a loan move away from Stamford Bridge as he bids to book a place in Gareth Southgate’s World Cup squad, although it remains to be seen if Thomas Tuchel will grant him an exit.