One of Dan Ashworth’s early tasks at Newcastle United will be to help shift the players Eddie Howe wants rid of, according to The Athletic.
What’s the latest Newcastle United transfer news?
Following confirmation on Monday that Ashworth would be appointed as the club’s first sporting director of the PIF era, many were hailing it as one of the biggest signings Newcastle could have made.
Still, as The Athletic have previously suggested, the 51-year-old was not solely a transfer guru at Brighton. Indeed, Ashworth is believed to be the man in the middle of the operation, ensuring each department works in tandem and once told BT Sport his role was to look after the best interests of the club in the “medium to long-term.”
Coming in ahead of the transfer window, however, will likely result in him trying to make space in Eddie Howe’s squad. A number of players had to be left out of 25-man Premier League squad after the January transfer window, while Howe has spoken of the need to see “well loved” names depart in order to grow.
With a need to balance their spending in line with FFP too, it’s surely going to be as equally big a summer in terms of outgoings than it is for incomings.
Who could leave Newcastle this summer?
Elsewhere, club captain Jamaal Lascelles has been linked with a return to Nottingham Forest while Matt Ritchie is another seemingly destined to leave. Isaac Hayden, Ciaran Clark, Karl Darlow, Dwight Gayle, Javier Manquillo, Federico Fernandez and Jamal Lewis were all claimed by The Sun to be up for sale, too.
What has been said about players leaving Newcastle?
Speaking on Newcastle World Q&A, journalist Jordon Cronin said: “Yes, the most obvious are Freddie Woodman, Ciaran Clark, Federico Fernandez, Jeff Hendrick, Isaac Hayden and Dwight Gayle. I wouldn’t rule out others departing however – Miguel Almiron for example, i.e. a player you might not expect to go.”