Chris Wood is likely to be fit for Newcastle United’s game with Everton on Tuesday, according to The Daily Mail’s Craig Hope.
What’s the latest Newcastle United news?
The £25m January signing has been away on international duty with New Zealand and was part of a Covid scare when the Kiwis’ friendly with Uzbekistan was called off due to an outbreak in their camp. Scheduled for kick-off on Tuesday in Dubai, there had been some concern as to Wood’s availably for Tuesday’s crunch meeting with Frank Lampard’s Everton at St James’ Park.
Luckily, however, Hope reveals Wood “should be fine” for the game.
How big a boost is this?
While it’d be fair to say Wood has yet to wholly convince in a Newcastle shirt, these are early days. A striker to have got into double figures for Premier League goals in each of the last four seasons, his track record cannot be doubted, particularly when battling towards the bottom of the league.
Only Callum Wilson has averaged a higher expected goals per game rating in the Newcastle team this season (0.33 to 0.31 via FBREF) and, frankly, he’s Eddie Howe’s most reliable source of goals given Wilson’s injury. Able to act as a target man as he did at Burnley, Wood is pretty much the team’s only focal point while Wilson is out.
What has Eddie Howe said about Chris Wood?
Speaking after Wood’s signing, Howe described the striker as “dangerous”.
“Chris is an important signing for us at a crucial time and I’m very pleased we have been able to move quickly and bring him here,” he said (via The Daily Mirror).
“He is a very dangerous attacking threat, has a physicality and character that I really like, and he has vast experience in the Premier League. He will be a great fit for us.”