Luke Edwards has moved to quell any suggestion there is anything untoward about Allan Saint-Maximin’s recent absence from the Newcastle United team.
What’s the latest Newcastle United news?
The club’s key attacking player, Saint-Maximin has missed the last two games following a knock he picked up during the win over Aston Villa earlier this month.
While his injury isn’t thought to be overly serious, reports have suggested the club are not keen to rush him back into action, while the 24-year-old himself has been fairly active on social media, posting videos of himself keeping fit at home and heading to Monaco for further recovery.
What did Edwards say about the situation?
Saint-Maximin’s absence has led to unconfirmed reports on social media suggesting the situation is somewhat more concerning than that. While important not to give too much credence to unsubstantiated talk, the bulk of it appeared to centre around the Frenchman ‘refusing’ to travel down to West Ham on the coach after Storm Eunice wrecked the club’s flight plans.
Edwards, however, quashed it. Quoting the post on Twitter, The Daily Telegraph journalist simply posted “This isn’t true…. ASM hasn’t done this, Howe hasn’t been played..”
What has Eddie Howe said about Saint-Maximin?
Speaking ahead of Saturday’s win over Brighton, head coach Eddie Howe offered an update on Saint-Maximin’s fitness.
“We hoped Allan would make it, but he was some way short in the end,” he said (via The Chronicle).
“We’re now keeping our fingers crossed, and hoping we can get him ready for next week.”