Newcastle United are “working hard on transfers” in the build-up to the January window, according to George Caulkin of The Athletic.
What’s the latest Newcastle United transfer news?
While that might sound like an obvious thing to say given their resources off the pitch and dire position in the Premier League, there had been some suggestion that rival clubs might be reluctant to do deals with them, such was the ill-feeling towards the takeover.
Frankly, at this stage, signings need to come in right away. Without some level of reinforcement and refreshment, the squad simply doesn’t look good enough to have a hope of staying up, despite the positivity Eddie Howe’s appointment has brought in terms of the mood in general.
What are the club looking for?
In terms of profile of player, the recruitment team are reportedly looking at players coming towards the end of their contracts.
Positionally, Howe is is said to have priorisited the additions of two central defenders and a central midfielder. Given the deep defensive problems the team have endured this season, that would appear to make the most sense.
NBN have been told, however, that Burnley’s James Tarkowski would prefer a move to West Ham United if he were to leave Burnely, either next month or (more likely) in the summer.
Further forward, The Times have suggested the club would be prepared to make Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard their highest-paid player in history in an attempt to bring him to St James’ Park.
What did George Caulkin say about Newcastle’s plans?
Writing ahead of Sunday’s game with Burnley, Caulkin said: “The stats show that teams don’t get out of the position Newcastle are in – the only other three PL sides to have gone 14 games without winning at the start of a season have all been relegated.
“They’re working hard on transfers now, but they have to start making a move before then. That’s why today’s game and the others that follow before January are so important.”