The former Magpies boss wrote his first column for the Athletic about his Newcastle exit and gave his side of the story regarding why he left the club earlier in the summer.
Durham claimed it was another clickbait interview that promoted negativity and directly addressed Benitez by telling him to stop doing interviews as everyone knows Magpies owner Mike Ashley needs to go, and pointed out all he is doing is hindering Bruce.
“Now he’s doing clickbait interviews, promoting more and more negativity, there was another one yesterday, so negativity around Newcastle United, a club he chose to leave,” said Durham on talkSPORT (18:38, Tuesday, August 13th).
“So how about Rafa respects his fellow manager Steve Bruce, gets on with spending millions from the Chinese football hotbed and stops adding to the negativity Steve Bruce faces.
“You don’t need to do any more interviews, we know Ashley needs to go! Stop hindering Steve Bruce!”
While Durham can miss the mark with his opinions on Newcastle sometimes, he may actually have a point here. Now that Benitez has completely told his side of the story regarding his Newcastle exit, it’s time for all parties to move on. Benitez revealing that Ashley wasn’t great to work with is no real shock and doesn’t really help anyone, especially Bruce. The 58-year-old manager has a hard enough task succeeding Benitez as it, especially given how loved he was at St James Park, and the Spanish boss reminding Newcastle fans of his existence and how badly the club is run, isn’t exactly helping get the fans behind Bruce. While Benitez may not know Bruce well, or even like him, Durham’s right to suggest that the former Magpies boss should show him some respect by keeping quiet. Benitez will always have a special place in the heart of Newcastle fans, and he should realise that the club needs to look to a future without him, as there looks to be no scenario that would see him return to the club anytime soon.