Leicester City Ayoze Perez is unlikely to start against former side Newcastle United on Wednesday night, according to Leicestershire Live journalist Richard Cusack.
The Spaniard left St. James’ Park for the Foxes over the summer, but will return to his old stomping ground in the Carabao Cup in midweek.
The chances of him starting are slim though, according to Cusack.
Speaking to the Chronicle (15.06), he said: “Perez has started each of City’s three Premier League matches this season and is yet to get past the 75 minute mark in any of them.
“That could be because City boss Brendan Rodgers doesn’t think Perez is up to speed yet, in which case it is hard to see him starting at St James’ Park.”
Truth be told, it’s probably best that Perez doesn’t start this one. This kind of thing never really ends well. Either the Spaniard plays out of his skin and breaks the hearts of the fanbase who used to adore him so much, or he has a completely forgettable evening and everybody is disappointed. Whatever the outcome, its not great, and given that the Magpies will be facing the Foxes on more than one occasion this term, its probably best to let those wounds heal over a little before reaching for the salt cellar. As Perez himself, he’s done a pretty decent job since moving to Leicester. In his three appearances so far he has averaged 0.7 key passes, two successful dribbles, and one shot on goal per game, as per Whoscored. He still has more to give, and the Toon Army will just be thankful that he is unlikely to make the kick on against them.