Andy Carroll reportedly drove himself up from London to Tyneside this morning (Thursday) in order to seal his return to Newcastle United.
Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie claimed after the deal was confirmed on deadline day that Carroll, 30, had been training at West Ham in the morning as he aims to recover from an ankle injury.
However such is his commitment to Newcastle, once he was told that a deal in the North-East was on the table for him, the striker personally drove himself over 280 miles to get the deal done.
“He trained this morning, would you believe, at West Ham,” said Downie live on Sky Sports News on Thursday [06:14pm].
“He’s been using their facilities alongside his old team-mates. He trained with them this morning and then got in the car and drove all the way up here and arrived just after 3pm.
“He met Steve Bruce, he met managing director Lee Charnley and put pen to paper on that short-term deal.”
It says a lot about Carroll’s desire to return to Newcastle that he was willing to do that.
Normally you see players catching helicopters or private jets to cross the country but for Carroll, who is recovering from an ankle injury, drove all that way to make sure the deal was done.
What is also encouraging about the former Liverpool target man is that he even took a pay cut to re-sign for the Magpies.
“He was a very high earner at West Ham but he’s taken a pay cut to come back here,” Downie added.
No one can doubt that Carroll will give 100 per cent commitment and effort towards Newcastle now.
It remains to be seen whether or not he will be able to produce strong performances on the pitch but at the end of the day, he is still a centre-forward who has nine caps for England and 211 Premier League appearances to his name and is now Bruce’s most proven striker in the top-flight of English football.
Hopefully Joelinton will hit the ground running at St James’ Park but if not, at least there is comfort in the fact that Carroll is there to lend a hand when he is needed.