Capital Radio sports presenter Peter Redding relayed a statement by BZG on Monday, via his Twitter account, which claimed the group had completed every aspect required in order to take over at Newcastle United.
Following a meeting with Bin Zayed Group officials they would like to put on record the following information for NUFC fans:
"Both parties have worked diligently in finalising a deal, none more so than ourselves. We have completed every aspect required in a takeover process.
— Peter Redding-Capital Radio UAE (@dubai_geordie) July 8, 2019
However, while that sounds like good news, in reality, it just added to the confusion.
After all, if BZG have completed every aspect required for the takeover process, why are Newcastle so quiet on the matter and while hasn’t a deal gone through?
Given that Magpies supporters have been burnt by takeover speculation before, it’s hard not to be sceptical.
Then it turned out in January 2018 that a deal was never really likely, at least according to Ashley, as he told Sky Sports News, as relayed by Sky News, that attempts to reach a deal with the businesswoman had proven to be a “complete waste of time.”
So there are sure to be fears that talks of BZG are going to lead nowhere either, but Jordan’s remarks will give many Magpies fans hope that the current situation is nothing like the one involving Staveley.
The former Crystal Palace chairman shared he was confident that Ashley would sell this club, ever since news broke in December, and he never had that feeling when Staveley was being spoken of.
“I think Ashley is going to sell this club, I thought that since December when it first came out,” said Jordan on talkSPORT (21:24, Monday, July 8th).
“Last year I never thought there was going to be a deal with Amanda Staveley, I thought it was all huff and puff.”
While Jordan doesn’t directly remark on BZG, the fact he is willing to go on record to imply he is confident about a takeover this time around; surely that gives Magpies supporters hope.