Date: 2nd July 2019 at 9:50am
Written by:

Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth apologised to Newcastle United during a transfer-round up for Sky Sports.

The broadcaster uploaded a clip of Sheth and Kaveh Solhekol running through all 20 Premier League clubs in order to discuss who they might be signing this summer, but didn’t have a positive update on the Magpies.

Sheth said he was sorry to the Magpies as he claimed their transfer targets would only become clearer once a successor to Rafa Benitez is appointed.

“Sorry Newcastle United, it’s all a bit up in the air at the moment,” said Sheth on Sky Sports.

“Transfer targets will become clearer once the successor from Rafa Benitez is appointed, though there is interest from Manchester United in midfielder Sean Longstaff.”

OPINION

Well, this is depressing.  Sheth and Solhekol had at least one positive transfer update for every other Premier League club, bar the Magpies. However, it’s no surprise that the Magpies’ transfer business looks dead in the water as how can they be plotting moves without a manager. The Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the Magpies’ hunt for a successor for Benitez goes on, but claimed the club wanted to have a new manager in place before the pre-season trip to China. The Magpies are set to head to China in order to compete for the Premier League Asia Trophy with the tournament taking place between Wednesday, July 17, and Saturday, July 20. Given that Sheth is right to suggest a new manager would want to influence signings, that does suggest the Magpies will be operating on a very tight schedule even if they get a new boss in before heading to China. After all the Premier League previously confirmed that the summer transfer window will be closing earlier than it has in some seasons previously, as it slams shut on August 8th at 17:00.