The reporter told Sky Sports News on Wednesday night that the Magpies are ready to break their current transfer record on signing the 22-year-old Brazilian, who missed Hoffenheim’s pre-season friendly against Jahn Regensburg earlier in the day to hold talks with the Premier League club.
“I’ve been speaking to someone in the past hour who knows exactly what is going on at the top of Newcastle and where we stand with Joelinton”, Solhekol said, as shown on Sky Sports’ website.
He added: “He told me that talks are at a very advanced stage for Joelinton.
“He said Newcastle are prepared to smash their club transfer record, this signing would be a real statement of intent.
“There is every chance it will happen.
“They are making a massive effort to sign him and they’re also disappointed that Hoffenheim have made this public. They would have preferred to keep it quiet.”
German newspaper Kicker has recently reported that Newcastle’s deal to sign Joelinton could be worth a massive £36.2million.
Newcastle seem to be getting closer and closer to getting their man, but it is interesting that this link has only intensified since Steve Bruce was appointed as manager. Joelinton was linked with the Magpies when Rafa Benitez was at St James’ Park, so that suggests that someone who is still at the Tyneside club wants to see the Brazilian arrive. Mike Ashley, Lee Charnley and head of recruitment Steve Nickson are clearly the men who want to see Joelinton arrive, but Bruce’s appointment must have been the final thumbs-up needed for them to push on for a deal. In a way, that is concerning. Bruce is already seen as someone who’ll be a ‘yes-man’ for Ashley and it’s unlikely that he will have had enough time to do his proper homework on Joelinton before sanctioning a move. Hopefully the Brazilian will do well because he had a decent season at Hoffenheim last time out when he scored 11 goals and supplied nine assists in 35 total appearances.