Date: 23rd June 2019 at 7:00pm
Written by:

Sevilla sporting director Monchi is to head to England for discussions about the possibility of signing Newcastle Unitd attacker Ayoze Perez, according to Estadio Deportivo.

Perez has two years left on his current deal at St James’ Park, but his future there is in doubt due to the uncertainty surrounding Rafael Benitez’s stay at the club.

The Spaniard has previously been linked with Napoli [Northern Echo], but according to Estadio Deportivo, Sevilla are now keen and Monchi is set to hold talks with Newcastle about signing the player.

The report says, however, that Perez wants to stay in the Premier League and that any deal must see the La Liga side stump up the Magpies’ £26million valuation of the attacker.

OPINION

Perez is just one player whose future at Newcastle is up in the air, and it is therefore no surprise to see another club linked with his signature. The 25-year-old had an excellent campaign in the Premier League, scoring 12 goals and assisting two others. And that is why he is being linked with a move back to his home country. But it could be a difficult move for Sevilla to pull off if this report is true, as not only does Perez want to stay in the English top flight, but it will take £26million to prise him away from the North East. Having said that, who knows what could happen in the next few days. Benitez is set to become a free agent on a week on Monday, and that could bring a whole new raft of possibilities into the frame for Perez’s future. For now, it would be best just to keep an eye on this one and see if it develops any further.