Date: 25th June 2019 at 10:00am
Written by:

Newcastle striker Ayoze Perez will push to leave the club and lead a string of player exits following Rafael Benitez’s departure, according to Football Insider.

The Magpies announced on Monday that Benitez is to leave St James’ Park on Sunday after failing to agree with owner Mike Ashley a suitable extension to his contract, which expires at the end of the week.

A report earlier in the transfer window [Northern Echo] said that Inter Milan were one of the clubs keen on taking Perez away from Newcastle, and Football Insider now says that the 25-year-old, who made 41 appearances last term, will attempt to force a move away.

The Spaniard’s final destination is not known, but the source adds that Perez’s attitude towards trying to leave will lead to an ‘exodus’ of other first-teamers from the club.

OPINION

If this report is true, it is very sad news for Newcastle fans. If you thought that Benitez leaving was the worst bit of news that could have come before pre-season, then think again. Not only have they lost their manager, but the decision to part ways with Benitez seems to have stirred some discontent within the Newcastle camp, which could lead to lots of first-team players leaving. Now that Benitez’s departure has been confirmed, next season is one of the most crucial in the club’s recent history. The side needed to strengthen, but add in the fact that Benitez is leaving – and that lots of players could follow him out of the door – and it makes the proposition of doing so look a hell of a lot more tough. Not only could Perez leave, but it doesn’t look like Newcastle will be able to bring striker Salomon Rondon back to the club, as his return to St James’ Park was seemingly dependent on Benitez staying. Therefore, it means that Newcastle’s two most potent attacking outlets from last season could both leave. Good luck to whoever the new manager is in trying to get this situation sorted out.