Date: 28th October 2016 at 10:31pm
Written by:

Newcastle midfielder Mohamed Diame says he is delighted to have finally ended his barren run in front of goal for the Magpies.

The Senegalese international had not scored in his first twelve matches for Newcastle but his double against Preston North End in the on Tuesday night should allow the 29 year old to play with more freedom in future games. He told the Chronicle that he had been chasing his first goal for a while:

“It was very good. I have been chasing these goals for a long time. To score them is a great feeling, even if I did miss an easy one in the first half I am still happy.”

Diame scored nine goals in the Championship for last as he helped the Tigers to back to the Premier League after also scoring the winning goal in the 1-0 playoff victory against last May.

The midfielder’s focus will be now to regain his place in the league side after being dropped to the bench by manager Rafa in favour of Ayoze Perez for last weekend’s match against .