Newcastle United head into their Premier League match against Norwich City at Carrow Road with something of an injury crisis. Steven Taylor is definitely out as he faces the rest of the season on the sidelines, while captain Fabricio Coloccini is a major doubt. James Perch may have only played 118 minutes of league football this season, but he’s already made six key contributions. Here’s that stat and the rest ahead of Norwich v Newcastle tomorrow…
• Norwich were the latest victims of free scoring Man City, suffering a 5-1 reverse in their last Premier League game.
• Steve Morison scored a consolation goal for Norwich in that game – his fifth of the season from 27 efforts.
• Marc Tierney has deliver 39 crosses so far this season, the most from a full back in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index and no surprise that he has contributed three assists as a result.
• Andrew Surman covered the most distance for Norwich against Man City with 7.48 miles, the third highest total posted by a player in last week’s round of games.
• Norwich covered 70.12 miles overall in that game, the highest total by any team in last weekend’s games.
• Newcastle also suffered a heavy defeat in their last Premier League game against Chelsea, and have been rocked defensively by an injury which will see Steven Taylor ruled out for the rest of the season.
• James Perch has stated he can step up to fill Taylor’s boots. In 118 minutes of football this season Perch has made six defensive contributions across tackles, interceptions, clearances and blocks.
• Yohan Cabaye covered most ground with 7.31 miles in the game against Chelsea and was one of just nine players who covered more than seven miles in the last round of games.
• Newcastle continue to work as hard as any team in the league having two of the top 5 players for total distance covered – Ryan Taylor with 94.16 miles and Yohan Cabaye with 94.79 miles.
Data courtesy of the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, the official player rating index of the Barclays Premier League.